How can you help your child to develop their literacy and numeracy skills at home?
- Read with your child every day.
- Allow time for self-correction if he/she makes a mistake.
- Encourage your child to talk about what he/she has read, and to retell stories
- Take time to look at and talk about the pictures in the book. Try to predict what will happen in a story.
- Make sure your child sees you reading (newspapers, books etc.) andwriting (shopping lists, messages etc).
- Remember to read aloud when your child is around!
- Practice any spellings or key words the teacher may send home
- Look at street names, shop signs, road signs and car number plates
- Buy games with instructions to read and follow
- Make birthday cards, invitations, lists and messages together and encourage your child to write letters, e’mails and postcards.
- Involve your child when spending money in a shop—try to count out the change wherever possible.
- Practice handwriting and letter formation.
Helpful Online Videos
The following links are You Tube clips which may help you to support your child with their numeracy work at home:
For more brilliant maths videos check out the following website/YouTube Channel: